What this is about:

Tales and Tidbits about Community Development, Peacebuilding, and Bringing food for the hungry on a continent in my spirit and a world away.

Saturday, September 27, 2008

OH YEAH!

Alright, so before I can start anything,
shout out to Julia and Kenny for throwing an fantastic "Office Premier" party for all the ex-pats. Grace out did herself on the food/pastries, and the set up was prime for viewing. It was all very uniting. Two days late for American viewing, but to us in Uganda? Right on time. Appreciate'cha.
-----

I've been slacking on updating and this post is really on the fly, so excuse me for its brevity! I'll be better since I'm going up-country for a month tomorrow. Oh, there will be much material for sure.

I got the practicum!

Position: Jr. Project Officer
Duties: conduct a community needs assessment for the FH Child Development Program, do qualitative and quantitative research in the FH development communities, make home visits, organize public forums, private interviews, conduct surveys and do field work in Eastern Uganda. Compile a report and photo essay about the greatest need for child survival, health, or food security. Assess how well FH is meeting those needs.
Location: Mbale, Uganda. 5 hours northeast of Kampala. By Kenya.
When I leave: Tomorrow!
How Long: almost a month

I get to ride a boda motorcyle to work every day. Um, awesome.
Meghan's going to be with me, doing her practicum at the health clinic, working for HIV/AIDS awareness, teaching (explicit) sex-ed classes to Ugandan teenagers during the week. Hahaha, I want to be a fly on that wall. I'll stand in the back for a few. She also gets to plan soccer games for the children and conduct bible studies in our area. Experience-wise, it's going to hard because it's a whole new culture in Torroro and, for once, we'll be away from our team! 13 to 2 is crazy, and we just don't know what to expect; but it'll be really rewarding I think. Ugh. I'm really nervous about my research abilities. Research methods was only theoretical.

I don't know how to create an impromptu public forum; especially with one translator and several of Ugandan's calling out suggestions in tribal languages.

Maybe I might be able to walk away feeling like I kinda know how to do something. (laughs)

-----
I'm missing some folks and wish they were closer.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i'm writing you a letter, but you probably won't get it until you're back, eh? well, it'll take a month to get there anyway right?
miss you.

Bugette said...

Congratulations dear on getting that practicum! I bet you're so excited!