What this is about:

Tales and Tidbits about Community Development, Peacebuilding, and Bringing food for the hungry on a continent in my spirit and a world away.

Monday, September 29, 2008

The Break Down

"We talk about these things and then we feel better."

Mbale is already so much different from Kampala. Instead of accosted, you feel respected. Instead of objectified, you feel like a guest. A Mt. Elgon-looking rock looms in the distance and everything around here feels like Hawaii--just with a lot of Africans running around. We're going to hike that rock one of these days.

I'm so happy with the staff people we work with: Patrick, Paul 1-2-and-3, Livingston, Miriam, Vicki, Susan, and Moses. I couldn't think of better people to work with.

Yesterday was our orientation and, for me, my hardest day in Africa actually. Since I've been here, I've been aware that I'm nothing of interest in comparison to European skin, but being in a more intimate environment, these feelings are magnified to the extreme. Livingston took Meghan and I on a walk yesterday to get us acquainted with the area, and little beautiful children would see Meghan coming from up the road. They'd call the whole child-clan to greet her as she passed by! She was making their whole decade. If they came to shake our hands, they kneeled to Meghan first and then, with prodding from Livingstone, would come shake my hand out of courtesy. As we kept walking around, people would look past Livingston and I, to laugh and smile at Meghan greeting them in their tribal language. Livingston spent most of the time talking to Meghan--I trailed behind feeling ignored. I knew none of this was intentional--just the way things were. I was not obviously foreign and was therefore less interesting. I wondered bitterly what was I going to do when I went to the village. Research was going to be impossible if I kept on being disregarded like this. Walking freely into political offices was going to be much harder than I had previously believed. I thought with much chagrin, "this whole thing would be much easier if I had been born white".

Ugh. White skin wins again.

Back home in America, I have to forget that I'm different. I am not given the chance to have a unique perspective very often because everyone's so concerned with being "color-blind" and the more we avoid talking about race or acknowledging that race has dynamic contributions, the better. But the "middle-ground" culture we communicate from is actually white culture, and so to function in society, I take it on and live "outside" my skin. In Africa, I'm not given a chance to have a unique perspective because I just look like some strange African they can't place geographically and I don't have anything interesting to say or look at because I'm not white (even though I'm American too). Or I'm just synonymous with Obama. To them, Meghan is gorgeous and I am not. Meghan is brilliant and I am not. Meghan is esteemed and I am not. Holding tears back, the final blow came as we neared the office. A man on the staff bee-lined towards Meghan, shaking her hand and praising "You're welcome! You're most welcome!" laughing and joking and then after (since its impolite to not greet everyone), he shook Livingstone's hand, and then my own limply, without saying a word, returning quickly back to Meghan to talk to her. I took my bag and walked as quickly to the bathroom as possible. Chopped liver. I sank to the floor and cried for ten minutes. I cried and cried and cried. I'm worse than an African-American. I am nothing at all.


It's not anyone's fault. It's funny how race takes on a value, life, and system of its own. Does it have to be this way? I don't know. I do know I have to bear my most of my burdens alone here and when I return to Kampala because no one will be able to remotely understand because its so far from their realities. I'm having an identity crisis. I'm just a piece of unassuming, brown wallpaper. I don't mean to sound calloused--I just wanted to be honest about what's going on in this heart. I'd trade this anguish if I could. Yesterday, all I wanted to do was be back home with people who love me and think my existence has weight. Meghan and I talked about it a little in the afternoon. She felt really uncomfortable being singled-out by Africans. We hashed out race for a little while--it was a good conversation. "That's why I think I like artists so much. We talk about these things that have no answers and then we feel better."

So I still feel really awful, and lonely, and invisible, but I think this is something I'll just have to get used to. I'll resist the urge to become a silent space-taker-upper. Today is better than yesterday. If I focus on that, perhaps it won't be so bad. Maybe that's the foundation of humility. Maybe what is indicative of transformation is stripping away the decorum and cutting the bows away. Welcome to the change process.

4 comments:

TiC Dave said...

Roe - I won't pretend to understand your frustrations. The closest I ever came to it was living in Kazakstan and people thinking I was Russian, until I opened my mouth.

You've expressed frustration and everything that goes with it. Just today a 10 year old shared with me the prayer of St Fancis. It's not about him, it's about God.

Look to the Lord and ask him what would he have you do. It's not about you, it's about him. What can you do for him, not what will he do for you. What will you do for them (Ugandans), not what will they do for you.

Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love;
for it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.

Amen.

Nathaniel FitzGerald said...

Promise me that when you get back to the States, you'll refuse to talk about color blindness from the white arena. Be a challenge to others because of your lack of apology in embracing yourself.

This never was a white man's world, nor should it have been. Take it back, Roe. Take it back.

cat m. said...

I hope Nate's comment meant to read, "Promise me that when you get back to the States, you'll refuse to accept color blindness from the white arena." It would just make more sense.

Hunny. I am SO BROKEN for you. We (you)'d never prepared to feel so much acceptance when you first arrived and then be rejected again.

It seems as though you're in this bind of being brown, but also having a euro-centric mindset.

I wish I could hug you; and I wish I had more to give you than... "What is good is so much more than what makes us happy."

As we know (through your being on the continent at all), God is faithful. No matter what. The God we believe in deeply honors and respects your struggles and will bring healing and restoration through and to you.

All my love, and grace and peace to you.
-Cat-ness.

Bugette said...

Roe, darling, I hope you know how often I think of you and pray for you. I'll never know what you're going through, but I am striving to "be here" for you and love you across the miles.

You're not worthless. You're not wallpaper. You are a beautiful and strong African-American woman who has a vision, a dream, a goal, a heart, and a passion of love and justice.

I hope today and tomorrow are better days for you, my love.