What this is about:

Tales and Tidbits about Community Development, Peacebuilding, and Bringing food for the hungry on a continent in my spirit and a world away.

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Conflict Theorist

[Electricity sputters and goes out]
[Darkness]

Meghan + me: "Ohhhhhh Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo."
Me: "You're kidding."
Meghan: "Noooo way!"
Me: "You are being unserious right now!"

We're alive! I haven't been able to blog or do anything in the electronic sense because FH-Mbale has been experiencing a black out for a week and a half. The sketchy thing isn't that you never know when they'll be a bit of electricity, but you never know when the water will shut off. There is this uncanny connection between the power and the water source. And sometimes they play games. No power, water. No water, power. But mostly it's been the lesser scenario for a bit now. When there's no water and power, Meghan and huddle around our candles trying to figure out if we want to brave the toilet (that won't flush) that has bugs living in it or if we should use the latrine (where our aim is bad). Or try to figure out when will be the next time we'll be able to take a bucket bath since these are the only kind to take here; but if there's no water how can we take them? Or wash our faces?

Candles are becoming familiar.

I don't have enough time to go on and on but I promise I'll fill you in when I get to Rwanda.

African Names: Meghan--Nashisa (the one who is merciful). Roe--Muyeti (the one who is helpful).
Community Assessment progress: frustrating
Challenges: slow concept of time, efficiency and miscommunication with key informants.
FH-Mbale CDP: doing really great things for their sponsored children.
Praises: Child sponsorship is making a big difference in the lives of parents and children. Last Christmas, every sponsored child received a goat.
Concerns: There are only a small number of sponsored children in the scheme of things. The children who are not sponsored feel bitter and unloved that they are not in the program. Are not provided lunch like the sponsored children and have a higher probability to drop out of school at P7 (11-12 years old). Teachers are concerned for the well-being of the unsponsored.
Next on Research Agenda: Maybe Public forum with Makhai (Muh-hye) church. Emphasis on maybe, since nothing ever really works out the way you want it to, ahahahahah.

Our office attendant, Vicki, is amazing. Every day we thank our stars for our new friend. And? She's a freaking outstanding cook. Nigerian Films are..................interesting.

I had a really bad day a few days ago, but I'm feeling much better. This practicum is beating me up, but without conflict there is no growth. I can't get better if I'm not thrown down, humbled, and made to realize my pre-conceptions are not as true as I think they are. In the really hard times, I wondered "UGH. Why didn't I just stay back in the states and do something practical. Why can't I just live a life of comfort and apathy where things never get hard? What am I doing here?"

But then a friend spoke comfort into the dark:
"We have to hope that God respects our struggle to follow his/her will."
I'm hopin'.


-Muyeti

2 comments:

cat m. said...

From what you say here, there isn't anything that says you're being a bad sociologist.

You're frustrated because we're dealing with people and not a petri dish. That sounds exactly like a sociologist. ^_^.

I'm sorry about your latrine; I have bad aim as well. LOL.

Unknown said...

candlelight is the best!
glad you have intermittent electricity!!! it's always a relief to hear how you're doing!